FAQs about study Canada

What are the requirements for admission into Canadian universities?

Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding admission requirements. Our counselling team will help you to search university for the admission requirements of the program you’re interested in. GES will help you to find a program .

I have been accepted to study English as a Foreign Language (ESL)/French as a Foreign Language (FSL) at a private institution in Canada. How can I make sure that it is a good quality program?

Languages Canada provides a quality assessment of the language schools across Canada and offers lists of approved programs and members.

I am a citizen of one country, but have lived in another country for a long time. Where should I apply for a Study Permit/Visa, in my country of citizenship or my country of residence?

You can apply for your Study Permit/Visa in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted. For more information visit the nearest Canadian Visa Offices or contact your nearest GES offices

I have finished two years of my program in my home country. I would like to finish the last year of my program in Canada. Will a Canadian institution accept my first two years of study and allow me to start in the third year of the program in Canada?

Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding transfer credits from other institutions. Contact the university directly to find out which transfer credits, if any, can be applied towards your intended program of study. You may also want to research if your current institution has any agreements with institutions in Canada that would allow for credit recognition. The international relations office of your university may be able to help in that regard or contact your nearest GES office and meet our education counsellor.

I was accepted at a Canadian institution and sent in my application for a Study Permit/Visa a few weeks ago, but I haven’t heard anything. Can you tell me when my Study Permit/Visa will arrive? Can you do anything to speed up the process so I get my Study Permit/Visa right away?

Visas and Study Permits are administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Please direct all questions regarding your application status to them. Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has no involvement or influence in regards to Visas and Study Permits

Can my spouse work in Canada while I study?

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a Work Permit if you are a full-time student at an authorised institution and have a Study Permit.

Are Scholarships available in Canada?

Canada provides a lot of merit based and institution based scholarship programs. Students who excel in their studies are awarded with these scholarships irrespective of their physical or financial conditions. Other criteria for the selection of students are based on their participation in extracurricular activities and outstanding athletic abilities. Academic scholarships, Athletic scholarships and scholarships for overseas or foreign students are the different types of scholarships offered in Canada.

What is the difference between a University and a College?

Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All Canadian Universities four year bachelors degree programs; most offer one to two years master’s degree and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Bachelor’s Degrees can be granted by Universities, some colleges and some Institutes in Canada. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs

How much value would a Diploma hold?

A college offers a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/ Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program. These programs give the students a practical background that employers demand and help them get jobs easily. It may often happen that students who have completed a vocational program may get better jobs/salaries than those who have studied in a University Degree Program.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s