FAQs about United Kingdom

Why study in UK?

The UK has numerous Universities offering a number of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Universities accept 15 yrs (12+3) of education for entering into their PG programs. The duration of most of the undergraduate degrees is for three years and, Master degrees for one yr hence saving you cost and time! Many degrees provide good links with business and professional organizations. You will gain world-class qualifications, a brighter future and unforgettable student experience.

What is the application procedure for UK?

For UG programs, the student has to fill out a UCAS form. However there are few exceptions as some of the universities can accept direct applications also. For PG programs, the student has to fill out the University/college form meant for international student. Also GES is providing Admission guidance for the UK universities and colleges.

What are the entry criteria for Postgraduate, Undergraduate and MBA course?

Different courses at different universities have different entry requirements and some of the courses need prior work experience. The student must also fulfill the requirement for English language by either giving IELTS or TOEFL if asked by the university. Your nearest GES office will be able to provide you with details on entry criteria.

Can I work whilst studying in UK?

Yes, you are allowed to work part time for 20 hrs per week as an International Student only if you are studying for a bachelor degree and Postgraduate course only. If you are studying for a Diploma course in a Govt funded colleges then, you will be allowed to work for 10 hrs per week

How much cost I have to incur for UK Education?

Average undergraduate UK course fees per year:

• Foundation courses: £4,000 to £12,000
• Arts courses: £105000 to £9,000
• Science courses: £10,500 to £29,000
• Clinical courses: £10,000 to £35,000

Average postgraduate UK course fees per year:

• Arts and humanities courses: £11,000 to £19,000
• Science courses: £10,500 to £25,000
• Clinical courses: £19,000 to £33,000
• MBA: £12,000 to more than £34,000

Are there any scholarships or awards available in UK universities and College?

Scholarships are mostly available at the post-graduate level and some of these are offered by the British Government and other UK organizations; e.g. British Council, British Chevening Scholarships. Some Universities provide scholarships for specific programs only. All the scholarships are very competitive in nature and are based on merit.

Can an International Student opt to stay for work after studying in UK?

Yes, you can stay and work after completing your studies provided you meet all the requirements of UK Border Agency.

What are the student accommodation options for International Student in UK?

There are two main choices- Halls of residence or private flats and houses. Halls of residence are University/College owned international student accommodation (full board or self catering). Or a student can stay in a renting private accommodation; which is typically a room in a house or a flat shared with students.

Will I get refund if my UK student visa is refused?

If your visa is refused and you have paid a deposit to your institution for tuition fees then you will receive a refund of the deposit when you send the institution a copy of your visa refusal letter from the High Commission. A few institutions deduct a small amount usually no more than £ 100 for processing the refund payment.

How can I finance my studies in UK?

As compared to the cost of studying in India only, going abroad can seem to be steeply expensive. However one must keep the possible returns in mind which are in the form of quality of education, international exposure and boost to ones career when evaluating the costs of studying abroad. A student can rely on sources like family funds, bank loans, scholarships, bursaries, sponsorships etc to provide for funds required by him.

  • Bank Loans : Most nationalized banks offer students loans at competitive rates for considerable time periods which may enable a larger section of students to go and study abroad. They will ask for a collateral security to be pledged. You can even consider the possibility of an international bank loan. Kindly ask your GES counselor for further details.
  • Educational Trusts / Institutes: Such organizations may also be able to help the student to fund his studies abroad.
  • Sponsorships: A blood relative is always preferred but other sponsors can also help to fund your education in the UK provided a logical explanation is given as to why he is willing to sponsor you.

Should I pay a Deposit before applying the UK student Visa?

Some universities require the students to pay part of the tuition fees in advance in order to reserve a place for them in the university. In any case we recommend that all students should make a deposit payment as it facilitates in getting a student visa.

How are the UK Universities rated?

British Universities do not have a formal ranking system but the government does take the responsibility to monitor and control the quality of education provided by each university through the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. The Government conducts a Research Assessment Exercise once in every 5 yrs. which determines the level of research activity in a university department. The departments are graded as high as 5* and as low as 1. General League Tables prepared by newspapers like the Sunday Times and Financial Times can also be checked.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s